« Back to List

Moving To A New Home


There are a number of agencies and services you need to notify in advance of moving. The following is a broad overview of some of these services and agencies.


Re-directing post and notifying others of change of address
An Post offers a re-direction service, which will ensure that all your post is forwarded to your new address. You will need to fill out a form giving your old address and your new address and pay the appropriate fee.

Transferring utilities - gas, electricity and waste collection
Utility accounts in your old home (such as electricity, gas and waste collection) will need to be either closed or transferred into the name of the new owners. Make sure you take final meter readings for gas and electricity services just before you leave. Contact your refuse comany to let them know you are leaving and make sure you have paid all the waste charges that are owed on the property.

Similarly, if you are moving into a home that has been previously occupied, ask the previous owners to transfer the utility accounts into your name. Take meter readings for gas and electricity as soon as you take possession of the premises. If utilities need to be connected, contact your electricity service provider (ESB Customer Supply or other) or Bord Gáis in good time to ensure that everything is working by the time you take possession of the premises.

Telephone accounts can be transferred between old and new addresses like electricity and gas accounts. This will save you paying a reconnection fee and means that you’ll have a working phone as soon as you move in. Likewise, if someone is moving into your old home immediately, you can transfer the account into their name. If you also have an internet connection, contact your service provider so you can organise your account in your new home. If you have a broadband internet connection, check that it will be available at your new address. If not, you will have to contact your broadband supplier and cancel your contract.

Television license
If you are moving house, you will need to transfer the address on your TV licence. Bring your existing licence to your nearest post office, together with evidence of your new address (a household utility bill or a bank statement will do). Staff in your post office will then amend the details on your record and your licence will be updated and re-issued to you. This service is free.

Cable/digital television
If you subscribe to cable or digital television services, you will need to contact your service provider to either cancel your account or arrange for a service in your new home.

Electoral register
The Electoral Register is held by your local authority. A new register is compiled each year and you have until 25 November to have your name included or to make any changes (such as a change of address) to your details. If you miss this deadline, you can apply to have your name included in the Supplement to the Electoral Register. To do so, you will need to complete a Change of Address form and return it to your local authority. There is no fee for this service.

Driving license, car insurance and vehicle registration details
You must contact your insurance company or broker and let them know your new address so that your insurance policy can be updated.

Remember to fill in the change of address section on your vehicle registration certificate and return it to the Department of Transport, Shannon, Co. Clare. They will update your details and send you a new registration certificate. There is no charge for this service.

You are not obliged to change the address on your driving licence, but it is advisable to do so. Contact your Motor Tax Office for more information. There is also no charge for this service.

House, health and life insurance
You will need to contact your insurance company to discuss your house insurance as coverage varies from one company to the next. You should also ask if the contents of your house will be covered during the move. Many insurance companies will insure your house contents in transit as long as they will be packed and moved by a professional moving firm. If not, most moving firms provide moving insurance.

Your health insurance company will also require your new address details so information on your policy and renewal can be forwarded to you directly.

Financial institutions
If you are moving to a new area, you may want to move your bank account to a local branch. There is no charge for this service. If you are staying with the same bank branch, make sure they have your new address. You will also need to contact your building society, credit union, credit card company, pension provider, etc.

Revenue Commissioners
You will also need to notify your change of address to the Revenue Commissioners. Make sure you contact the correct tax district; you can get the contact information from any of your tax documents. Always quote your PPS number in correspondence or on the phone.

Social welfare payments
If you receive any social welfare payments, such as Child Benefit or Jobseeker’s Benefit you will need to contact your local social welfare office to let them know your new address. Failure to do so may result in disruptions to your payments. They will require proof of your new address, such as a utility bill or bank statement.

For details of utility connection fees, you should contact the relevant service provider. Your local authority will be able to give you details of waste charges in your area.
Top of page
Terms and conditions